[Typo3] Case / if statements in TMENU for ATagParams

P. Embacher typo3 at peitco.de
Thu Apr 14 01:01:35 CEST 2005

Hi Joey,
first of all - thanks for your great support !!
Now - some statement's:

> Well - as far as I can see, you don't need any PHP, split or optionSplit
> for
> that, since it doesn't work for _all_ your links.
> The single lined links accidentally look fine because you are using a
> value
> for padding-top that makes them look like vertical-align:middle, but they
> aren't aligned at all.

Hmm... mybe you're right - lets see

> Conclusion: It's all about properly setup CSS if it's possible at all.

my point is - it doesnt seem to be possible ...

> Solution: Well - there are 2
> W3C states clearly what "vertical-align:middle" can be used for.
> 'middle'
> align the vertical midpoint of the element (typically an image) with the
> baseline plus half the x-height of the parent.

Thank's - I searched this explanation for hours *ggg*

> This will work in two cases only:
> 1. You define a line-height for the text that should be aligned
>    but this won't work in your case, since you would have double lines and
> thus double line heights afterwards.
Yes - that was my first problem - with line-height you expand the
doublelined items ...

> 2. You have a surrounding table-cell
>
> So 2 is the only working solution for your scenario. Build a surrounding
> table and put each item into a table cell with vertical-align:middle.

With a table cell my problem was, that if the background hover effect only
works for the textarea itself ... so you don't have this nicee effect, that
the complete backgrund is changing

> IMHO there's another and even better solution: Don't use a fixed height
> for
> the menu items!
Ohhh yes - my absolute favorite - but the designers told me: "No - we need
equal height, cause if we reduce the height of one-line items, they seem
less important - but they arent.

> It looks much better having different item heights with a uniform
> padding-top and padding-bottom and you don't waste valuable screen-space.
Absolutly ACK (IMHO ;-) ) but you know --> the customer / designer

> And as my old boss used to say: Don't use gradients - gradients are always
> used when the designer had no better idea.
> If you get rid of the background gradients you don't need fixed heights
> anymore.

THANKS -> I would love to tell that to the designer ... but I think I can't
;-((

I'll send you the link to the original t3 page as a private mail ... maybe
you understand than a little bit more

> Joey

BTW ... I still hope you have another idea to solve the problem with
different ATagParams depending on the title-length ?!?

Best greetings

PEter