[Typo3] template design question

Thomas Bolioli tpblists at terranovum.com
Wed Apr 13 17:02:40 CEST 2005

I am new to typo3 and invariably with my luck, the first site I need to
do is a complex one designed completely by a graphic artist. Rhyme and
reason took a vacation on this one. There are pages with one to three
column main sections, different color top banners, etc and the nav is
completely disconnected from a nice, structured hierarchy. The only good
thing is that most of the site template i common. Think a three cell
table (header, main and footer) where the main cell is then broken into
1-3 cells and the changing colors all effect images and table
backgrounds. My questions:

Is there a way to hard code (as opposed to HMENU) nav into the template
while preserving the ability for urls to still be constructed via typo3?
ie; java's c:url.

Is there a way to "echo" back typoscript variables into the html? I want
to fix the changing color thing by using a variable in the page setup
and have it used in the construction of urls, class names, etc; I looked
through the ref and nothing seemed to scream out at me.

Is there a way to have a template within a template? I want to have a
template that applies site wide while then having a secondary template
that embed inside the main cell of the first. I looked at ext templates
but I am not sure what they are and how they fit in. Any pointers to
docs (or alternative ideas) for that would be appreciated.