[Typo3] admPanel and publish button

Tyler Kraft headhunterxiii at yahoo.ca
Wed Apr 13 10:34:23 CEST 2005

Morning

> you decribed your setup very precise but what is the problem?
> What is not working?
>
> You know what "publish" is meaning and what it does?

Umm yes I believe so.  When a BE user previews or views a page in the
admin panel they can click the publish button.  This then creates a
static html version of the page the way it is when the publish button is
clicked and that is then served - if it exists - instead of a
dynamically generated page.  This reduces the time to serve the page to
web viewers right?

The problem is that this works great and works the way I want it to for
most pages.  But it works a little to well in a way.  I have a section
that is password protected on the front end, a members section, and my
BE users being click-happy and not smart (ie very very stupid!!) have
started to publish the password restricted pages. This then leaves a
dynamically generated password protected area (good) but a lot of static
html pages that the server will give to anyone who requests them (bad).

What I'm looking for is a way to remove the publish button from the
admin panel for the section that is password protected.  this means that
  when my BE user views a page anywhere in the site he will have the
publish button in the admin panel and be able to publish the page EXCEPT
when the page is under this one section.  If the page is under this one
section then I still want them to have the admin panel to be able to
preview pages and content they are authoring, but not to have the
publish button in the admin panel, there by avoiding the publishing of
log in restricted pages.

I know that I could just go and remove the static pages from the server,
  but this isn't an option. There are over 100 members area pages, all
data including static html gets rsynced between 4 servers and then its
also on akamai, so its not quite as simple as just deleting a few pages.

As you need to set up the admPanel in the user or user group TSconfig
and then enable it with the template I don't know how to remove the
publish button for only that one section.  I know there is an extension
that lets me have conditionals in the user config but when I last tried
it it didn't seem to work correctly and it also removes the cache
facility which is not an option right now as there is a lot of traffic
(in the FE and BE).

so my group config is

admPanel=1
admPanel {
   enable.edit = 1
   enable.edit.hide=1
   enable.preview = 1
   enable.cache = 0
   enable.info = 0
   module.edit.forceDisplayFieldIcons = 1
   module.edit.forceDisplayIcons = 1
   module.edit.forceNoPopup = 0
   hide = 0
}

Then in specific users who should be allowed to publish I have:

admPanel.enable.publish = 1

In the template I obviously have

config.admPanel =1

And I tried to but various thing s for the admin panel in the page
TSconfig and template setup, but (unfortunately for me in this case) the
documentation seems to be 100% correct and that admin panel setup will
only work in the group and user TSconfig.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tyler