[Typo3] Basic Template Setup

Michael Shigorin mike at osdn.org.ua
Tue Apr 12 20:11:36 CEST 2005

Greg Ruthenbeck <greg at grit.net.au> wrote:
> Now I'm trying to put what I've seen into practice on my linux server.
> I have installed (from the zip)

BTW, better from tar.gz -- then you can change TYPO3 engine
versions easier by moving a symlink.

> and the backend interface is all there. I have created a page and
> created a template record for it.  But, even after adding the template
> record, I get (A) 'Template not found' error.

Well Documentation page suggests Getting Started:
http://typo3.org/documentation/document-library/doc_tut_quickstart/

> Can anyone help me. I would have expected this to be pretty easy..
> but, despite my uni degree, years of programming experience, and hours
> spent experimenting, I can't figure it out. I have also read:
> manual-doc_statictmpl-09-01-2004_13-36-37.pdf,
> manual-doc_tut_templselect2-01-04-2003_01-33-23.pdf,
> manual-doc_tut_templselect-29-12-2003_12-56-46.pdf

You know, my very first fault with TYPO3 was reading the README in
traditional skippy manner.  Three hours later I've realized I'd better
*read* the fine manual (two screenfuls or so) line by line and do just
that and not fiddle with things and miss the DB import stage.
Would have saved 2.5 hours :-)

So README, INSTALL, "Getting Started" and preferably a clean start with
a tarball should help you a lot :-)

--
Michael Shigorin
EMT.Com.UA