[Typo3] [Typo3-design] Call for Templates. another try

Michael Scharkow mscharkow at gmx.net
Mon Apr 11 16:50:20 CEST 2005

Hi everyone, and sorry for crossposting,

after some discussion in -dev, this is another try in getting together a
new standard TS template library.

Rationale:
The old static templates we all know and love ("Green, Business, etc."),
Kasper's Eleven, are showing signs of age and are not maintained
anymore, they use obsoleted concepts like content(default).
But for lots of TYPO3 beginners, the static templates are the first and
best way to get some frontend output out-of-the-box. So we need some new
templates which display the loads of features of TYPO3 now.

Templates can and should be for different purposes (commerce, portal,
personal, etc.), but they must be:

1. Complete with Typoscript (for menus, static and dynamic content,
etc.) and accompanying files, such as HTML-Templates, CSS-Stylesheets,
Images, etc.
2. Valid XHTML, valid CSS, preferably accessible and table-less layout,
thus they must use CSS-styled Content for rendering.
3. Work on a bare 3.7/3.8 installation with CSC installed. No hacking of
TYPO3 source code!
4. Slim (no unnecessary <div>-orgies, no CSS-class-inflation) and well
commented (both in TS and HTML Code) because users should be able to
learn from them, and they should be maintainable in the future
5. Original and good looking in all modern browsers :=)
6. Free to use for everyone (we will need to discuss licensing issues)

Since a lot of the people in these newsgroups have repeatedly offered to
support TYPO3 but are not PHP developers but site designers: This is
your opportunity to help us make TYPO3 better.

Note that this is not an official TYPO3 project (yet?), let's see if
this can work without strict control. If we have enough submissions, we
can do a community vote or have the association decide (if they should
be "official"). For now we just need material, so if you have a working
generic template that uses some of TYPO3's features, submit a link to an
example site and the template files in the typo3.design newsgroup, or
submit them on the wiki project page
http://wiki.typo3.org/index.php/EXT_newstatictemplates

Discussion should continue here, so I set the follow-up to t3.design

Greetings,
Michael