[Typo3] Why is the 'Dummy' site 40MB?

Rob De Vries spam_this at pandora.be
Mon Apr 4 23:59:16 CEST 2005

Mike Kendall wrote:

> The downloaded 'dummy' site weighs in at a hefty 40MB.
Personaly, I don't think 40MB is 'hefty' in this terra byte age. ;)

It seems to include several MB of graphics, loads of extensions and
multi-language libs which the site I'm developing won't use at launch.

> I'm just trying to install a nice clean empty typo3.7 installation, with as few files as possible, to which I can add functionality later as the site grows. Anyone know what can be safely left out?

The dummy site is 40mb if you would install it on a server without using
symlinks.
some directories are duplicated, but when installing on a linux server
using symlinks it will reduce the amount drasticly.

If this is your first website, I would suggest not to bother to much
about the size of typo3, but more of the size of the documentation and
the amount of new knoledge that will come your way in high speed :)
In other words, just install typo3 and start playing with it.
I think this is a better way to decide what functions you would like to
use or not.

Have fun

Rob