[Typo3] What would you expect of a TYPO3 webhost?

Boris Senker typo3 at dvotocka.hr
Sun Apr 3 20:21:55 CEST 2005

Hi Luc,

thanks for your reply.

>"Luc Verhoeven" <info at djluc.nl> wrote in message
>news:mailman.869.1112522354.19001.typo3-english at lists.netfielders.de...
>Hi Boris

>First of all you need much more space then normal because you have to
>install Typo3 but also because you save
 >images twice on you're space normally: You upload all images in the
fileadmin. If you use them in a content element it >is saved also at anther
place.

Yes, I am aware of that, that is no problem.

>The configuration: It should just be possible to install Typo3 without a
>problem. Think about settings like memory limit >which should be high
>enough. Also you will need helper-applications like imagemagick.

We are building a full-scale Linux hosting platform based on a CentOS 4.0
distribution (excellent, I am delighted with it), PHP running as CGI (so
php.ini per vhost is possible), with all stuff (Freetype 2, Imagemagick
etc.) needed for full TYPO3 operating. I am also mograting our existent
TYPO3 sites to that server so installation will be fully tested and without
any problems. Default PHP memory limit for TYPO3 installs will default to 32
MB with the possibility of upping the limit per need per installation.

>Pre-installation may be a good idea but it should be an option. I think you
>can make some money of it because you >can do sort op basic-website setups
>so the people can start entering content right away. But that's just extra,
>not >really needed for a good hosting.

Yes, it is planned as an extra costing little bit more, one-time. Little
bit. So basically website users could choose a preinstalled TYPO3 (not
through Fantastico but manually with proper file and folder permissions)
into which they would only need to install extensions and fill the content
in as they wish, or choose to install TYPO themselves.

>-Whats important:
>-stable
>-backups
>-backup servers when a server crashes
>-direct contact with people who are controlling the server.

Yes, we take great attention to stability and security and we are building
our server slowly but properly. Backups are executed daily of full user
accounts, websites and databases. Backup server is waiting for the main one
to be fully finished and ready.

We are directly controlling the server, both us in Europe (European time)
and USA (USA Chicago area time) with the additional 24/7 datacenter support.
So support tickets are going to be responded to very briefly.

Guys, any other things which would be important / desireable?

Boris Senker

: dvotocka design

Graphic Design for Print and Web, Prepress, Website Production

J. Laurencica 8, 10000 Zagreb, Croatia
http://www.dvotocka.hr