[Typo3] Typo3 vs Plone. What are strenghts and weaknesses?

robert robert at redcor.ch
Fri Apr 1 03:50:22 CEST 2005

Michael Scharkow wrote:

> robert wrote:
>
>> Suman,
>> thanks for your email.
>> I did not yet look at cmsmatrix.org because I am not so much
>> interested in raw features.
>> So I took your mail as reason to compare typo3 and Plone on
>> cmsmatrix.org.
>>
>> A couple of things that revealed:
>> - feature wise the two systems are comparable
>> - the matrix is not very up do date (I can only judge Plone)
>> - the use of such a comparson borders to nil. (in a very early state
>> of evaluation it might be interesting)
>

> Full ack. There's nothing like a manual review on both systems, the
> cmsmatrix stuff seems to be taken from the feature lists only. I plan
> to write a comparison of Plone/Typo3 once I have a litte more time. It
> will be, of course, about getting into Plone from a Typo3 user's
> perspective.
>
> I did a bit of toying around with Plone this weekend, and it looks a
> lot more like one of the *Nukes or Slashdot than TYPO3. The basic
> portal features and workflow are there out of the box, but customizing
> the look and feel seems a lot more troublesome than with TYPO3.
>
> Greetings,
> Michael

Michael,
thanks for your answer.  Sorry, I only saw your email this morning.
If you would like, we can team up.
I intend to do a "full scale" project with Typo3 to collect some
experiences with the system.
So I might need some help.
You do a Plone project and I (and my people) can give you a hand.
And afterwards we do a "paper".
I intend (but this is still very much on the drafting board) do do such
a project rater publicly (with a blog)
so my steps an findings will be documented.

Robert