[TYPO3-dev] TYPO3 CMS 8 and REST API

Michael Schams typo3 at 2016.schams.net
Sat Mar 5 02:15:15 CET 2016

Hi TYPO3 community!

Work on the next TYPO3 CMS development cycle has just began and I look
forward playing with the first v8 sprint releases later this months:

https://typo3.org/news/article/kicking-off-typo3-v8-development/

Last year (early June 2015 to be precise) I triggered a conversation re
headless TYPO3 CMS and a RESTful API provided by the TYPO3 core
"out-of-the-box":

http://lists.typo3.org/pipermail/typo3-dev/2015-June/049810.html

I understand that a few extensions already exist (e.g. EXT:restler and
EXT:rest) which aim to provide possible solutions. I dare to ask the
question again, if any projects/ideas/plans exist to integrate this
technology in the core of TYPO3 - maybe in version 8 at one point?

The main reason why I am so keen on this topic is, that we see this as
an important selling point. Competitive CMS such as WordPress or Drupal
claim they support REST APIs already for example (having said that: I
have not worked with this yet, so I can't confirm this). Also, clients
have asked us about this and I doubt, that we are the only TYPO3 company
in world facing these questions :-)

Any feedback or a status update in this regards?

Cheers
Michael