[TYPO3-dev] FAL and TCA

Bernhard Kraft kraftb at kraftb.at
Thu Mar 12 12:03:04 CET 2015

Hi,

On 2015-03-11 19:42, Frans Saris wrote:

> Something like described here?
> http://wiki.typo3.org/File_Abstraction_Layer#TCA

This is how to set-up a FAL field using sys_file_references.

Lets first define I would not use the API for really getting a path to
the file.

Then I would have to "follow" the configured TCA relations till I end up
with a sys_file record. There it would get complex to retrieve the file
without using the API.

But I just meant that it is some convention, that when you have a
sys_file record you have to use the API to get a file ... correct?

Of course TCA at all is a kind of convention-monster. But usally quite a
lot is also configured there. What I miss is some kind of
configuration(!) for the sys_file TCA by which my code knows which API
methods it has to fire up. Or at least which API methods are available.

In the current situation every such speciality: Calling an API for
specific TCA situations would have to get implemented by hand. There is
no mechanism ...

Background: I upgraded the "contentstage" Extension to 6.2 and had to
handle FAL entries. Maybe my tought is not clear enough and just evolved
by the fact I had to add special code for retrieving a path to the file.
If sys_file:identifier would just have been a type=>group
internal_type=>file_reference the question wouldn't have arised.

greetings,
Bernhard