[TYPO3-dev] Set up new TYPO3 project with composer

Philipp Wrann philippwrann at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 11:34:03 CEST 2015

First of all, i allready found this: http://composer.typo3.org/

Anyway, i got some questions about creating new projects and working with composer. Hopefuly someone can give me some advises here.

The project i am going to start is a little more complex, than a simple cms site. I will have independant Webservices, based on different libraries but want to manage all in one repository. There will be a cms component (typo3 cms 7), a flow application and a second cms installation (not typo3) for internal stuff (alongside with building-scripts and so on).

I will have Production/Staging, Development and Testing contexts, the tesing-context should provide testautomatisation.

I am very unexperienced with composer and - until now - worked with git and submodules to define and manage dependencies. As the typo3 project makes use of composer more and more and i mainly work with typo3, i decided to give it a try.

If i run the command:
composer create-project typo3/cms-base-distribution CmsBaseDistribution dev-master

A directory named CmsBaseDistribution is created, that holds the composer.json files and the structure for a simple cms site.
Am i good if i create this within my main-repository as subfolder or should i allways place the composer.json file in the root? If yes, how would i create the initial structure? Should i move the file back and adjust the json file, etc?

Or should i not use the skeleton and declare the dependencies manually using composer require typo3/cms, etc...

For Deployment i would like to use TYPO3.Surf, is it optimized to work with composer?
How would i deal with deployment?

Kind regards,
Philipp