[TYPO3-dev] PHP's extension "imagick" not used in TYPO3 CMS

Helmut Hummel helmut.hummel at typo3.org
Sun Feb 22 09:53:12 CET 2015

Hi Michael!

Michael Schams wrote:

> I always wondered, why TYPO3 CMS does not use PHP's native extension
> "imagick" [1] to create and modify images using the ImageMagick API, but
> executes ImageMagick's binaries from the operating system instead.
>
> The only two reasons I could think of is, 1) not every server setup has
> this PECL extension installed (by default), and 2) lack of resources to
> implement this :-)

Both true. If anything we should make use of a library which abstracts
the concrete implementation of image transformation for us. Imagine
might be a good choice, as the Neos folks already have experience with it.

Doing so would let the user choose a best fitting "driver" for image
manipulation.

One last note on using a PHP extension: imagine you want to create a
thumbnail of a 1GB PDF. It very likely could be that the PHP extensions
needs to load up the whole file into memory to only create a thumbnail
of the first page. This would mean you need to grant your PHP process
 >1GB of memory just for image manipulation.

Kind regards,
Helmut

--
Helmut Hummel