[TYPO3-dev] TYPO3 installation instructions: recommended directory structure

Stefan Padberg post at bergische-webschmiede.de
Wed Aug 26 14:26:25 CEST 2015

Hi community,

I am wondering why the TYPO3 source code should be stored one level
above the document root.

[quote source="installation instructions"]
You end up with the following structure of files:

  typo3_src-7.4.x/
  htdocs/typo3_src -> ../typo3_src-7.4.x/
  htdocs/typo3 -> typo3_src/typo3/
  htdocs/index.php -> typo3_src/index.php
  htdocs/.htaccess

This allows you to upgrade TYPO3 later by simply replacing the symlink
with a newer version, or by using the integrated "Core Updater" which
can be found in the Install Tool.
[/quote]

This is only practical if TYPO3 is the only software in the public
directory. Often we have a 'typo3'-directory inside of the public
directory. Thus we prefer the following structure:

typo3/
typo3/typo3_src-7.4.x/
typo3/typo3_src -> ./typo3_src-7.4.x/
typo3/typo3 -> ./typo3_src/typo3
typo3/index.php -> ./typo3_src/index.php
typo3/.htaccess

Are there reasons against this directory structure? Can the integrated
Core Updater handle this structure?

Best regards
Stefan