[TYPO3-dev] Better use pibase while everyone use extbase?

Patrick Schriner pschriner at gmx.de
Tue Oct 7 14:35:04 CEST 2014

The best benefit of Extbase development comes of the ability to
understand, reuse and extend Extbase-based extensions.

Maintaining old big pibase-Extensions (or worse: homebrewn MVC extensions)
is a nightmare. You can look at the (old) code base of direct_mail,
powermail, news, cal ... and curse a zillion times when you try to
understand there wonky behavior. That doesn't mean they didn't do the job,
but it's very hard to maintain these extensions after the original
creators have lost interest.

Extbase/Fluid is far from perfect, but from what I've seen the chances
that the code will be maintainable are *far* higher than in the old
"system".

That aside: It sucks when you need many objects. It sucks when performance
(especially uncached) is critical. I think it's downright unbelievable
that there are still issues you encounter when using Extbase+Fluid, FAL
and multiple languages. But those are solvable.