[TYPO3-dev] Introducing Gerrie - A crawler for Googles code review system Gerrit

Andy Grunwald andygrunwald at gmail.com
Fri Nov 28 17:27:12 CET 2014

Hey everyone,

i want to introduce Gerrie [1] to you.
Gerrie is a crawler for Googles code review system Gerrit.
We, the TYPO3 community, use Gerrit to improve and develop the TYPO3
products (CMS, Neos, Flow, etc.). The Gerrit instance is located at
review.typo3.org [2].

During this activity a lot of interesting data will be created in the
background. Gerrie is a tool to transform this data into a RDBMS like
MySQL. After this you can create analysis with it with simple sql queries.

To retrieve the data the SSH API of Gerrit will be used. The benefit
from this is you can use every Gerrit system to analyze like Wikimedia
[3]. I assume that most of you are registered at review.typo3.org [2]
and entered their SSH public key into the system. Gratulations, you are
ready to crawl the data as well :)

Gerrie is written in PHP and complete documented [4].
Even the database scheme is documented [5] to help you to analyze the
data. For a quickstart you can follow the documented Getting started
guide [6].

Results of this analysis are wide spreaded.
One use case can be for example a gamification analysis like the
Activity Monitor build upon TYPO3s Gerrit data for the TYPO3.CMS
product:
http://metrics.andygrunwald.com/statistics/gerrit/activity-monitor/analysis/59/
In this analysis every activity will results into points. Based on the
sum of the points a score list will be created. The background color is
determined by a hash function based on the users name. This mean: Same
Name = Same color.
Please take in mind: This does not reflect the contribution to the
community. This displays only activity by a user in a specific system.

I would love to see you as a kind of tester for this tool.
If you need help, do not hesitate to ask. I try to help as much as possible.

Have fun during testing :)

Cheers,
Andy

[1] Gerrie: https://github.com/andygrunwald/Gerrie