[TYPO3-dev] Change the backend language in typo3 6.2.2

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Thu May 15 14:57:26 CEST 2014

Hi,

On 15-5-2014 13:48, Sejal wrote:
> I have already set in user settings as well as user record and also
> cleared the cache but its not working.
> I think its a core bug with typo3 6.2.

Just tried it with a 6.2.2 installation and it worked without problems.

First check in the Install Tool that there are no issues left in:
- System environment
- Folder structure

Then move to the backend. In ADMIN TOOLS > Language you can mark which
languages must be downloaded; in your case German. Once you mark a
language below "Languages" an extra column appears on the right below
"Translations". All extensions have 'Not checked' behind them.
Now you use the option "Update from repository" on the top to start
checking/downloading the translations. You'll see the progress in the
columns on the right.

After this is finished there should be extra directories with the
language files on the file system at /typo3conf/l10n/de/<extension>/...
And in typo3temp you should have a list of files named
<extension>-l10n-<lang>.zip

If a language is downloaded it is also available in your account
settings (USER TOOLS > User settings). After changing the language use
the 'save' button on the top to save the user settings. The menu on the
left should reload and show the text in the selected language. The User
settings screen itself will not be in the newly selected language yet
(that will only happen if you select it in the menu on the left).

What can go wrong:
- zip files cannot be written to typo3temp (folder permissions?)
- zip files cannot be unpacked (something wrong with PHP modules
configuration?)
- language files cannot be written to typo3conf/l10n/... (folder
permissions?)

--
Jigal van Hemert
TYPO3 CMS Active Contributor