[TYPO3-dev] Once again - the future of TYPO3 templating/grid approaches

JoH asenau info at cybercraft.de
Tue Jun 17 12:00:03 CEST 2014

> Why not take the best out of all these worlds (extensions) and combine
> that to a "minimum viable product" approach that helps TYPO3 excel in
> terms of backend editing and frontend development possibilities? I don't
> think that a CMS can live without both excellent FE development and BE
> editing concepts and solid URL scheming in 2014.

This is exactly the approach of THEMES.
We are providing the first THEME Base for Twitter Bootstrap Themes based
on exactly those extensions that provide jQuery, Grids, a human readable
URL and the necessary special elements.

For those who can not make it to the dev days it might be interesting to
check out the following link:

https://github.com/typo3-themes/Vagrant.Themes

Kay Strobach provides this fully blown Vagrant development box so people
can try it out and give feedback by bug reports or feature requests.

One of the first extensions, which have been ported to be THEMES
compatible has been the Bootstrap Introduction Package by Benjamin Kott.
It provides it's own concepts under the hood, which are slightly
different than the ones we use for the THEMES bootstrap base, but still
it will be usable via the theme selector.

IMHO the THEMES approach will provide most of the stuff that is
necessary to get people on track, who don't know TYPO3 yet but want to
get their PSD transformed into a working CMS based website. Just choose
a theme which is closest to the design you are going to provide, modify
images, JS and CSS accordingly and for most of the use cases of a basic
website that's it.

End of September there will even be the official THEMES book:

http://www.amazon.de/TYPO3-Theming-Distribution-Thomas-Deuling/dp/3955617106

End of commercial now ;-)

Cheers

Joey