[TYPO3-dev] CGL question

Dmitry Dulepov dmitry.dulepov at gmail.com
Wed Feb 26 12:50:52 CET 2014

Hi!

I have a CGL question. Our current CGL says:

----------------
In general there should be a single return statement in the function.
However a function can return during parameter validation before it starts
its main logic. Example:
----------------

So it is about ***parameter*** validation. There are no other conditions
here that allow early return. So what about this:

-- example #1 --
public function foo() {
	if (!$this->bar) {
		return;
	}

	// ... 100 lines of code here
}
----------------

In my opinion this looks ok from a common sense point of view but it is
against CGL (because $this->bar is not a parameter but an attribute and the
check above is not about validation). The function has to look like:

-- example #2 --
public function foo() {
	if ($this->bar) {
		// ... 100 lines of code here
	}
}

What is you opinion: does example #1 violate CGL or not?

Note: I do not ask whether you like example #1 or example #2 but only about
formal conformance of example #1 to CGL in such case.

The outcome of this "poll" is whether code like in example #1 can be
allowed in the TYPO3 core or not. In my opinion it is not allowed by CGL
(again, it is not important whether one likes it or not).

--
Dmitry Dulepov

Today is a good day to have a good day.