[TYPO3-dev] composer install typo3/cms

Christian Opitz christian.opitz at netresearch.de
Mon Feb 10 10:00:35 CET 2014

Am 06.02.2014 11:56, schrieb Fabien Udriot:
> If we are not forced to submit the sysexts to Packagist separately, it
> is better of course. I considered this approach as required if we wanted
> to be modular by deploying a custom Core with Composer. My use case
> would be to only download certain Core Packages and build up a Core as
> light as possible. It must not be forgotten that even a Core Package is
> not activated it takes some processing time (not that much but still).
> And on a more conceptual aspect, I don't want to see code that I don't
> need.

That's reasonable but hard to realize with packagist as it expects each
package to have it's own git/svn repository. But there would be another
possibility to achieve that: TYPO3.org could host it's own composer
repository which would contain the sysexts (and maybe also the complete
TER?) seperately and allow you to install them on demand. The only
concern on this approach is that developers/integrators would need to
configure this repository in the root composer.json [1] - however for me
this would be fine.

> Some general thoughts: I am still thinking what is the boundary with the
> Extension Manager which is (was?) the usually way of managing
> extensions. It looks new doors are opening. Composer for sure brings
> flexibility because it can connect packages from various places.
> Activation of a Package still remains the task of the CMS. It will be
> done by CLI via the install command:
>
> $> ./typo3/cli_dispatch.phpsh extbase extension:install foo
>
> This being said the Extension Manager has the big advantage of having a
> GUI for people who don't want to hear from command line even if they are
> dead simple.

+1

By the way: I just submitted a patch with a proposal for a composer.json [2]

[1]
https://getcomposer.org/doc/faqs/why-can%27t-composer-load-repositories-recursively.md
[2] http://forge.typo3.org/issues/55770

> Have a nice day,