[TYPO3-dev] Contribution to community extensions

Philipp Gampe philipp.gampe at typo3.org
Sun Aug 17 21:31:05 CEST 2014

Hi Xavier,

Xavier Perseguers wrote:

> TBH I really don't get the point of this CLA. I've the feeling that
> without clear statements from law / advocates, "we" (not us...) invented
> CLA and other stuff but without knowing if it is really needed in case
> of a conflict. I may be totally wrong, this is really my personal
> feeling but I agree that the CLA is hindering contribution, even if you
> ease the agreement workflow, this will still hinder potential
> contributors from quickly providing some fix, just because they wanted
> to gently fix something and don't want to bother with signing papers
> (even electronically), agree to complex terms, ... for fixing a typo
> somewhere.
>
> Thankfully CMS Core did not introduce this, that's a chance!

The point is, that you must not merge code without knowing the copyright
associate to it. From a legal point of view, all code belongs to the author
and unless he gives you an explicit permission (CLA), you must not use this
code.
This is pretty much (although the systems are quite different) in both US
and continental copy-right law. There is no fair-use coming into play here
either.

Even a patch attached to the bugtracker cannot be merged unless the author
explicitly allowed it.
I would say (but a legal advisory might counsel different) that patches
submitted to gerrit can reasonable be assumed to have the permission,
however this is not true if the author did this in his worktime or with
company knowledge without the company giving permission.

The only reason, there are not many legal cases because if this is, that
neither the open source projects, nor the developers have lots of money.

Best regards
TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!