[TYPO3-dev] Contribution to community extensions

Xavier Perseguers xavier at typo3.org
Sun Aug 17 17:38:53 CEST 2014

Hi Jigal,

> The disadvantages currently outweigh the advantages IMO:
>
> [...]
> - impossible to correct the code in a pull request before merging it
> (other than by the author of the pull request)

Partially wrong. You can't from the web interface but you can if you
merge the pull request using command line. The commands to invoke are
shown in the web interface with a link next to the "click to merge"
button, showing you what you have to do to do the same from the command
line. This way, you may easily squash multiple commits from the PR
together, slightly change the commit message, ... and still show the
original author.

This is nice because most contributors using PR do not really understand
what squashing multiple commits means.

> - [...]
> - no connection to a TYPO3 bug tracker

Could be done using the web hooks, if we really wanted to support it.

> - no control over code by security team

Don't get this point. Does the security team really monitor something on
community extensions? What I understand is that, in case of a problem,
they will maybe provide the patch, but will not merge it automatically.
I don't see a difference between an extension being hosted on the TYPO3
infra, on GitHub or having no (public) repository.

Cheers

--
Xavier Perseguers
TYPO3 CMS Team Member