[TYPO3-dev] Contribution to community extensions

Xavier Perseguers xavier at typo3.org
Sat Aug 16 17:16:33 CEST 2014

Hi Dominique,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

> That's a key point for an opensource community. We are alive because we
> have contributors. So we need to take a lots of care to ease the
> contribution wall that we have currenty. [...]

Very valid point.

> Contributing to documentation is a important example, where the online
> edition on github rock a lots. Even for small bugfixe it work nicely.
> The new issue on github solve a lots of problem.

That's the reason why every official documentation has been moved to
GitHub a few weeks ago, with an "Edit me on GitHub" link top right. E.g.,

http://docs.typo3.org/typo3cms/TyposcriptReference/ObjectsAndProperties/Index.html

Francois Suter acknowledged recently that the documentation team had
seen an increase in contribution since that move, exactly for the reason
you gave: editing documentation on GitHub is very easy and may be done
by anyone, even without setting up anything locally. Well, at least for
small changes :)

--
Xavier Perseguers
TYPO3 CMS Team Member