[TYPO3-dev] EXT Extension uploader (extension_uploader) - no upload to TER

Xavier Perseguers xavier at typo3.org
Wed Sep 18 06:59:41 CEST 2013

Hi Franz,

> I checked your ext_emconf.php and it looks like the following line is
> not OK. 'typo3' => '4.5.0-6.2.99',
>
> 6.2.99 is not a supported version.
>
> From the news item: "You can set the minimum for a version of TYPO3
> which is not supported anymore, but then the maximum must be within the
> supported range. You cannot set a maximum outside the range of supported
> versions."

Exactly, and from the related news [1] you will learn additionally:

--------
You cannot set a maximum outside the range of supported versions.
Currently and until the release of TYPO3 6.2 beta1 — that is, "feature
freeze" — in September this year, the upper bound of allowed range is
6.1.99.
--------

Feature freeze did not happen yet since we are still at alpha phase.

Just for the fun, I was one of those to actively contribute to enforce
this new policy and for one of my main extensions, namely EXT:sphinx I
would have been tempted to tell it was officially compatible with 6.2
because I'm of course developing it with 6.2 and testing it before
release on older versions. So I know it works in 6.2. However, at some
time recently, the skins (CSS) were moved in 6.2 meaning my already
uploaded version would not have been compatible anymore with 6.2. This
is not a problem since I didn't mark it as compatible (I could have
before the strict enforcement from TER).

This is exactly the reason why although you know that your extension is
already compatible with upcoming version, you cannot upload it to TER
and tell everyone this is the case because at any point until feature
freeze (aka beta1) your extension is likely to break due to changes in
upcoming TYPO3 Core (even minor such as moving some CSS along).

But once beta1 is out, this is real feature freeze and you should expect
the Core to be "ready" (not bug free of course) and test again your
extension and upload it with a new dependency so that when rc1 or the .0
version is out, many extensions are already "there".

[1] http://typo3.org/news/article/ter-new-requirement-for-extension-upload/

--
Xavier Perseguers
Release Manager TYPO3 4.6