[TYPO3-dev] Extension publishing documentation?

Xavier Perseguers xavier at typo3.org
Wed Oct 9 14:07:24 CEST 2013

Hey Tanel,

> Where could I find extension upload and publishing to TER documentation?
> Can't find any...

These are two different topics.

To publish extension, you can do so by using TYPO3 < 6.x (thus typically
4.5 or 4.7) right from the Extension Manager. When using TYPO3 6.x, this
feature has been removed from Extension Manager as this is developer
oriented and it does not belong there, so you should use e.g.,
https://github.com/etobi/Typo3ExtensionUtils

To publish documentation, you don't have to do anything apart from
providing Documentation within your extension, it will get automatically
rendered and made available on docs.typo3.org, the now official platform
for TYPO3 documentation.

Regarding documentation, you may either create a documentation as an
OpenOffice document, under EXT:yourext/doc/manual.sxw (legacy) or use
the new official documentation format based on reStructuredText/Sphinx.
You are of course advised to write your documentation using the new format.

I encourage you to locally install EXT:sphinx (available off TER) to
work on documentation with the new format. If you have an existing
OpenOffice manual, you may easily convert it:

http://docs.typo3.org/typo3cms/extensions/sphinx/UsersManual/SphinxRest/Index.html

Everything you may want to know to get the most out of the rendering on
docs.typo3.org:

http://docs.typo3.org/typo3cms/extensions/sphinx/latest/UsersManual/DocsTypo3Org/Index.html

Kind regards

--