[TYPO3-dev] Smoothmigration / typo3-upgradereport - conditional checks

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Sun Nov 24 19:26:18 CET 2013

Hi Stefan,

thanks for the valuable input. Indeed you identified some usability
drawbacks of the current solution that could get some more improvements.

Stefan Geith schrieb am 22.11.2013 10:29:

> typo3-upgradereport (aka smoothmigration) is a great extension to find
> possible problems in extensions prior to upgrading to 6.2 LTS.
> Thanks a lot to the authors of smoothmigration!
>
> But now, that I start modifiying extension to support all versions form
> 4.5 to 6.2, the reports don't get smaller, because the code for 4.5
> compatibility is still included, e.g.
> - Xclasses are includes the old *and* the new way
> - Conditions, checking vor Typo3-version are not detected
>
> So my question is:
> Is there a way, to exclude code-lines form checks ?
> I mean, It would be cool to have an annotation like
>     // @Typo3-4.x
> that marks all lines, that need no checks, because they
> - are executed only, if Typo3-Version<6.0
> - have a 6.x-compatible version implemented in parallel (e.g. Xclass)
>
> This would help to to make the report more readable and reflect the
> progress of fixing extensions.

Difficult. Maybe it would be good if extensions would pack their
"compatibility layer" inside some unique and central file/class (i.e.
like News does somehow with Tx_News_Utility_Compatibility) and then find
a way to allow the extension to declare the whole file as "no need to
check / fix" by the "smoothmigration" extension.

> Another good option for developpers would be, that you can mark
> extensions as "dont check with smoothmigration", because there are
> extensions,
> - that have different Versions for 4.x and 6.x, so I cannot install the
> 6.x Version in 4.5 and so a report for this extension is useless

I think we need to integrate the information from the EM (the extension
list) in the report, by stating which extensions can be upgraded and
which versions available for both branches - as the information is
available there.

> - i'm not able to fix, so I have to wait for a fixed version anyway
> Showing these extensions as a list (without details) would help.
> Maybe this could be implemented by a line
>    'dont_check_with_smoothmigration' => '1',
> in ext_emconf.php, so that after an Update via TER the extension is
> included in normal checks again.

I would not fiddle with the original's extension source code, but
implementing some kind of "skip this extension" in the smoothmigration
extension would be a great addition.

> ... just my thoughts about smoothmigration ...

Thanks for sharing! Maybe you want to get involving in coding something
here? Just open up a pull request if you have some idea. Thanks!

Cheers,
Ernesto