[TYPO3-dev] Best practice: How to store a complete TYPO3 installation in git

Philipp Gampe philipp.gampe at typo3.org
Wed May 8 21:58:09 CEST 2013

Hi Andy,

Andy Grunwald wrote:

I just have a small project, but you might want to read the AOE Media way:
http://www.aoemedia.com/solutions/full-service/quality-assurance/continuous-deployment.html
http://de.slideshare.net/tlayh/a-complete-typo3flow-development-and-deployment-pipeline

I think there are also slides for TYPO3, but I cannot find them now.

Anyway, this is what I do:
> * Store the complete TYPO3 core source in Git?
Not, it is in git already, if at all use a submodule.
> * Use a "build" script (e.g. to download TYPO3 source or extensions from
> TER, ...)
I just use a plain git checkout and symlink the source

> * What about the database / content / changes? Tools like
> Liquibase [1]?
No versioning right now

> * What about content assets? Set them to ignore?
yes

> * What about TYPO3 Source updates?
git pull (or checkout if I need a new release)

I version parts of the fileadmin folder with the template assets (CSS, JS,
TS, TSconfig, UserTS, etc.). The project folder is then uploaded via
PhpStorm (autoupdate).

For bigger projects, you properly want to create tar.* archives and use some
automated task (Jenkins?) upload it based on defined criteria.
You need to version everything that changes ;)
And you might want to put the assets into an own asset/template extension
instead of storing it into fileadmin/

IMHO this depends on your workflow and how many of the involved versions you
control.

Best regards
TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!