[TYPO3-dev] New transparent categorizing of all content element

Fabien Udriot fabien.udriot at ecodev.ch
Sat Mar 23 14:08:21 CET 2013

Hi Soren,

> I'm been looking at the current state of category implementation in the core, and one of the
> things i really dislike, is that I have to register a table as "categorizable".

Just as a reminder, @makeCategorizable@ enables more than just adding the mm relation. You can also
configure how and where the categorization field should be displayed in TCEforms. This should be
kept in mind.

Besides, there was the idea of having a Category Core extension where you could have settings
accessible by the Extension Manager to define categorized tables for instance. Since we were lacking
such "feature" during the development phase of 6.0, there was a setting in the Install Tool where
you could give a comma separated list of table to be categorized. I know, rudimentary but a first
attempt! The setting was removed from 6.0 at the last minute for some reasons. Probably it was not
accessible enough.

> If we are to move TYPO3 to a higher taxonomy level, why not make categories easily accessible for
> the editor, newbie and the hardcore programmer?!

I wish the same.

I always wanted a BE module where you can easily create / edit your categories and
display your categorized items... There were already a few initiatives in the past. I also did my
proof of concept almost two years ago with EXT:taxonomy. At that time I used the ExtJS widget for
the tree but now that that the tendency is to go away from ExtJS, I am unsure about the candidates.
I have the following jQuery plugins in mind:

https://github.com/mar10/fancytree/
http://www.jstree.com/

On that topic, I have heard the Neos team has developed something for their need... So, more
investigation would be needed to have a global approach, harmonizing the different ways we have for
generating trees. (accessibility for mobile devices should be taken into account)

> https://github.com/sorenmalling/categories

I looked at it.

> By default, all content elements are categorizable. Page content, News records, Pages, sys_files
> etc.
>
> this could/should go into the core as a sysext, and remove the category implementation from
> EXT:core.

Could you say what is so different from the Core implementation apart that every table is made
categorizable (which could already be achieved the same way today)?

Are you considering moving the Category Model / Repository into a Core extension?

> Things missing:
>
> * Category HMENU special type
> * Rework the current Collection implementation from EXT:core
> * Think about how to easily integrate into content concept.

* have a FE plugin demonstrating the Category / Collection API.

> I will like to discuss this, and implement it for 6.1 in cooperation with the release team.

I will be the first one to be happy to move forward with the topic.

> Please give some feedback on this approach, thanks in advance!
>
> Regards,
>
> Søren Malling
>
> Twitter: twitter.com/sorenmalling _______________________________________________ TYPO3-dev

Ecodev Sàrl - Rue de la Serre 11 - 2000 Neuchâtel - Switzerland

Tel / VoIP   + 41 32 511 08 18
Web          http://www.ecodev.ch