[TYPO3-dev] Extension documentation in ReST format

François Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Sun Jan 27 15:07:27 CET 2013

Hi Tolleiv,

> actually this assumption is imho wrong. THe documentation team has
> hardly managed to build up their services, but we (T3O-Team + Doc-Team)
> haven't been able to integrate both "services" properly by now. There
> hasn't been any kind of official announcement that ReST should be used
> for extensions. Once you start using it for your extension you'll break
> usability for typo3.org users, because nobody would be able to reach
> your documentation through the normal search etc...

Yes, that's right. I think this integration should be the aim of the
next code sprint, so that extension authors can switch safely. Since we
can also transform OpenOffice manuals to ReST (and then to HTML again),
we have all extension manuals on docs.typo3.org. The most important next
step IMO is to change the links from the TER to docs.typo3.org. Of
course, this also means changing the detection of an existing manual.
Indeed if there's neither an SXW file, nor ReST files, the documentation
should be marked as missing, as is done now.

An extra step, but one we are not ready for yet, would be to trigger the
rendering of the manual when an extension is uploaded. We don't have the
endpoint on docs.typo3.org yet and neither is the TER ready for it. We
currently rely on a cron running on docs.typo3.org.

But it's still a good sign that some developers start adopting REST I
think, even if it may create an awkward situation for users. Hopefully
it could help "bring back to the fold" developers who chose an entirely
separate solution (for example, Claus Due, who has developed a lot of
clever extensions, has included no documentation for the; it is all
located on his own web site). It's clearly better than having no
documentation, but it's also a shame that it exists outside the global
scheme.

Cheers

--

Francois Suter