[TYPO3-dev] Fluid - or WATE

Christian Zenker christian.zenker at 599media.de
Tue Jan 15 10:59:15 CET 2013

Hi all.

Just my thoughts on the topic even though they might be a little late:

> I know that fluid is around for some years now. I always just moarn
> about WATE.

Right - I love to do that myself - or more generally on the NIH-Syndrom[1].
But I'll have to admit that at the time that decision was made, it was the
correct one. That's almost 4 years ago! Smarty was nice from the endusers
point, but with its function-based PHP4-compatible codebase it was as ugly
as it could get and not at all suited for an object oriented, design
pattern following Extbase or even Flow3.

> I would like to know what the reasons have been that for v6 and NEOS the
> decision has been made to create a complete new templating engine: Fluid.
> Just another thing one has to learn.

Nowadays I'd also say there are better templating engines than Fluid (at
least the TYPO3 CMS version, I don't know about the TYPO3 Flow version).
But here comes the good part: It's really easy to integrate your own
templating engine into Extbase.
I did this for fun with Twig during T3DD12 and it was really simple and
straight forward. I wasn't aware that I did not publish it, so I did this
now. [2] As said, I did this just for fun, but if anyone wants to join
forces to push this project further contact me.

So, if you prefer Smarty, just write a quick extension and use it! It's
just some templating engine you push some variables to. Done.
Maybe there even already is some extension like that out there.

I really doubt that one could replace Fluid in either CMS or Flow. But
there are lots of extensions out there that are/were defacto standard for
some users regardless that they are not core extensions (like templavoila,
fed, lib-div, phpunit, extdeveval, …). So, no need to change the core to
make a change.

Greetings,
Christian.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Not_invented_here