[TYPO3-dev] [TYPO3-ect] Announcing TER cleanup process

Adrien Crivelli adrien.crivelli at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 04:22:54 CET 2013

The problem is I am not very close to TYPO3 ecosystem by any means. And,
even though I have a clear vision of what I would like to change (drop svn
entirely, more git/github based things), I don't feel it would be right if
I force my ideas on hundreds of people who are (much) "older" than me in
this community.

I feel it would not be fair to apply my radical changes without a clear
approval by the community. And I fail to understand how to get this
approval. For instance I didn't hear about TER cleanup process until a few
days ago. I have no idea who and how it was discussed. And it may be too
late to change the plan now. Or is it ?

Here is what I would love to have:

   - existing svn is readonly from today
   - all extensions are hosted on github, or TYPO3 git servers for a few
   very important one (much *less maintenance* for TYPO3 git/svn servers)
   - publishing extension on TER, require:
   - installing
webhook<https://help.github.com/articles/post-receive-hooks>on github
      - matching repository name and extension key
      - using semver <http://semver.org/> tags for each release
   - downloads for any version can be served directly from github as zip
   file (again much *less work* for TYPO3 servers)

This allow for a much more *natural workflow for developer*, and easier
collaboration via github's pull request (as long as gerrit is not required,
which probably is a vast majority of case for extensions). It also allow to
*simplify Extension Manager* extension (dropping all code related to
uploading).

The only downside that I see is a total break for SVN users. But I feel
it's a good time for a big change (with TYPO3 6.0 and TER cleanup).