[TYPO3-dev] [TYPO3-english] Bye-bye OpenOffice, welcome ReST

Xavier Perseguers xavier at typo3.org
Tue Aug 20 14:37:58 CEST 2013

Dear TYPO3 enthusiasts,
Dear TYPO3 developers,

You cannot ignore that OpenOffice manuals are not the way to go anymore.

<disclaimer>
We are still in the process of smoothing a few edges (such as a proper
integration with typo3.org) but basically as 95% is already working, you
should consider switching to ReStructuredText / Sphinx today already.
</disclaimer>

You may find useful resources to do so in the TYPO3 wiki [1] but to be
honest, as of today, this describes the relative *hard way* to switch to
this new format since it shows you how to install a complete environment
from scratch.

The good news is that in an attempt to make this move as easy as
possible I created a TYPO3 extension named "sphinx" [2] which does
(nearly) everything automatically for you and let you start creating
Sphinx-based documentation in a few minutes (on Linux/Mac OS X) and a
few dozens of minutes on Windows.

Q: Who should/may use EXT:sphinx?
A: Everyone.

No, sure! Installing of this extension should be quite straightforward
if you follow the administrator documentation [3] and once installed,
even editors without basic administrator knowledge should be able to
kickstart new Sphinx project, edit and compile existing documentation
(either custom documentation or extension's manual).

Even if you prefer working with a command line rather than clicking on
buttons in TYPO3 Backend, you will be happy as EXT:sphinx does that as
well: [4].

@Extension authors:
As you may have notice, your extension manual will be rendered both as
HTML and as PDF on docs.typo3.org. Make sure to read [5] to get most out
of it.

@All:
TYPO3 6.2 comes with a new documentation module and will let you
register custom documentation as well (such as in-house editor
documentation or whatever). I find the Sphinx Documentation Viewer so
practical that I eased the way you may register your own document there.
Please check [6] if you are interested.

And as TYPO3 is definitely not bound to English, EXT:sphinx's
documentation is available in French as well. Just use the version
switch (top right) on docs.typo3.org and choose "fr-fr" :)

If you have any question/remark, please post them here or in the
documentation mailing list, as you prefer. Goal is now that as many of
you as possible start to use Sphinx for their documents.

All links below are showing "latest" state of EXT:sphinx but currently
the difference between the version 1.1.0 on TER and the master branch is
essentially its documentation so... happy documenting!

Kind regards
Xavier

[1] http://wiki.typo3.org/Rest
[2] http://typo3.org/extensions/repository/view/sphinx