[TYPO3-dev] Deprecation strategy for BE viewhelpers

François Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Fri Aug 2 21:58:25 CEST 2013

Hi Frans,

> I ask this
> because TYPO3\CMS\Extensionmanager\ViewHelpers\Be\ContainerViewHelper is
> deleted in master (https://review.typo3.org/#/c/22063/).
> ext:media uses this one and now breaks in TYPO36.2.
>
> Shouldn't the viewhelper be deprecated and not deleted so extension
> developed for6.1  still work in6.2?

In general I would say yes, definitely, as other APIs. In this case I
(speaking for myself, as it was my patch, although it was validated by
quite a few eyes) really didn't expect an extension to use such a view
helper. IMO it is bad design on the part of the media extension,
although I can guess why it used it: it needed to load several JS or CSS
files, something which was not possible until now with the standard BE
container VH.

I faced the need myself for one of my extensions (external_import) and I
copied the view helper inside my extension, as it seemed very dangerous
to me to rely on another extension's view helper (especially since it's
not one meant to provide view helpers). I would strongly advise "media"
to do the same rather than bringing back the EM's view helper.

Cheers

--

Francois Suter

Work: Cobweb Development Sarl - http://www.cobweb.ch