[TYPO3-dev] Re: ReST documentation from extensions

Elmar t3elmar at googlemail.com
Fri Apr 5 11:37:17 CEST 2013

> 1) Do nothing: ask the author to put a PDF or OOo as well

I tried this by automatically rendering a manual.sxw.

TER seems to have special requirements for manual.sxw.
My autocreated one is not detected:

   Manual not available

http://typo3.org/extensions/repository/view/esp

> 2) Generate a PDF on TER while uploading the extension and "repackaging
> it" (don't like it but possible)

This would be the most comfortable way.

The disadvantage is, that there is put "something" into the extensions,
that can't be directly influenced by the develper.

However I think it is acceptable,as it is only a transformation of what
the developer has provided for this purpose.

> 3) Show the online HTML version (won't work for Intranet disconnected
> from "the world")

I generally prefer PDF over HTML for reading docs.

> 4) Ask the author to provide a HTML version as well

A workload that could be automated is not a good solution for me.

I bet a majority would reject to do this in practice ... and they are right.

> 5) Locally render the documentation

See 4)

Bottomline:
=========

Solution 2) is the solution for me that will work in practice.
It is the only solution, that reduces work of documentation comparing writing OOO.
Only sultions that make matters more easy will finde acceptance.

Solution 3) would be an alternative if it ships PDF as well.

Regards

Elmar