[TYPO3-dev] Perl -> CLI -> PHP -> Extbase.. good idea?

Sebastian Michaelsen sebastian.michaelsen at t3seo.de
Wed Oct 3 12:13:22 CEST 2012

Hey folks,

I have a technical concept to implement my current project but I don't
know if it is a good approach. I'd really appreciate your oppinion.

The client has a big CMS written in Perl (sorry, can't tell the name
here) and I have to extend it with a new application. But since my Perl
knowledge is poor and the CMS doesn't really have a good extension
framework anyway I want to do it with (surprise) TYPO3 Extbase.

The client demands to have the application backend embedded in his Perl
CMS, so I came up with the idea to write a backend module in Perl which
is just a wrapper and calls PHP/TYPO3/Extbase per CLI. Extbase parses
the requests and renders the backend forms and it will be displayed in
the Perl CMS.

I already played around and managed to get Extbase working by calling it
via CLI and I think sure the Perl-Wrapper won't be too hard to do either.

I never heard or read of such a construction and that's usually a signal
that it's a bad idea, so if you have any concerns (performance,
security, feasibility, etc) or have a way better idea to integrate an
Extbase application into a Perl CMS I appreciate your comment.

Thanks and kind regards,
Sebastian