[TYPO3-dev] 6.0 new extension manager: dev features?

Jigal van Hemert jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org
Mon Nov 12 19:43:43 CET 2012

Hi,

On 12-11-2012 17:25, Stefano Cecere wrote:
> i have some questions about the new EM.. which is very simplified, and
> it seems good for non developers.. (i guess some non developers uses the
> EM)
>
> but how can i regenerate the ext_emconf data?
> isn't there any more the list of modified files?

It did too many things and was way too complicated for most people. Some
actions like installing an extension with a few dependencies required a
whole change of actions by the admin.

The language related features were moved to the language module
(downloading language packages).
The developer related features are moved to extdeveval (kickstarter,
upload to TER, etcetera).

> (side question: what was wrong with old new (4.5) EM ? )

It used a lot of the code from the per-4.5 EM and had wrappers around
that to modernize it a bit. It was based on ExtJS and there are not
enough people in our community to support ExtJS based extensions. The
user interface was not always intuitive (most people couldn't find the
way to install an older version of an extension from TER for example).

The EM 6.0 is based on Extbase/Fluid plus jQuery. It is easier to use
and focuses on its core business: managing extensions in your TYPO3
installation.

--
Jigal van Hemert
TYPO3 Core Team member