[TYPO3-dev] Git issues with dependencies

Lorenz Ulrich lorenz-typo3 at visol.ch
Tue May 29 17:00:28 CEST 2012

Hi everyone

I'm doing DAM development with the TYPO3 Git/Gerrit infrastructure. All
that stuff works really well but there's something that puzzles me all
the time: All my change requests in Gerrit have a dependency to the last
change I pushed. This is no problem as long as these issues get merged
before, but if they get merged after or even abandoned I need to rebase
my changes before merging even if they don't touch the same files.

Maybe you could tell me what I'm doing wrong. I always stick to the same
pattern:

- "git checkout master" if I'm not on master anyway
- "git pull" to ensure master is up-to-date.
- "git checkout -b ISSUENUMBER" to create a dev branch for the issue I'm
working on
- "git commit -a" to commit
- "git push origin HEAD:refs/for/master" to push to Gerrit

As I said, it's working, but I don't see where this dependency comes from.

Thanks for any help.

Best regards,

Lorenz