[TYPO3-dev] Adding type to linkVars: a real problem or documentation issue?

Mario Rimann typo3-coding at rimann.org
Fri May 4 22:13:50 CEST 2012

Hi all

We realized a mobile version of a website using a second PAGE object
with a different typeNum. The redirection of mobile devices is done with
mod_rewrite rules in the .htaccess file.
Once in the mobile version, we want to stay there. Hence all links must
contain the typeNum of the mobile version.

We achieved this through the following TypoScript configuration:
config.linkVars = type,L

This seems to work perfectly with TYPO3 4.5.x, but we are a little
concered about the following remark in the TSref documentation:
<< Note: Do not include the "type" parameter in the linkVars list, as
this can result in unexpected behavior.>>

Is this a documentation flaw or still something one shouldn't do? If
it's a valid note, what's the reason behind it and what's best practice
to realize such a mobile version?

Thanks a lot & kind regards
Marcel Burkhalter
Mario Rimann