[TYPO3-dev] Run TYPO3 in different Context: production, development, etc..

Fabien Udriot fabien.udriot at ecodev.ch
Tue Jul 31 10:04:24 CEST 2012

Hi,

What is your experience / feedback in running TYPO3 in a particular context such a development /
production?

Development and Production would be the two first contexts that would cross my mind but it could be
the need for more such as Debug, ... There exists a few settings in the Install Tool that we can
fiddling with. However, nothing straight forward if I consider:

[devIPmask] which allows to display debug info only for certain IP's range
[extCache] which has been deprecated in 6.0.

Perhaps more a question for the Core List but the FLOW3 team has introduced a PHP environment
variable that can be set in the htaccess file if powered by Apache (Ngninx would have it somewhere
else). I am asking if it would be worth introducing "officially" such a variable for TYPO3 so that
the Core and extension developer can rely on it slowly? Or do you see such configuration as part of
the Install Tool?

Typically, you would find in your htaccess:

    SetEnv TYPO3_CONTEXT Production

Connected somehow with the "context" issue, I noticed recently the blog entry from Steffen Müller
who wrote a convenient method for clearing TYPO3 Cache in PhpStorm and a kind of fake Development
context: http://www.t3node.com/blog/clearing-typo3-cache-in-phpstorm/

Cheers,

Fabien