[TYPO3-dev] How to handle many pages?

Martin Bless m.bless at gmx.de
Thu Jan 19 14:42:37 CET 2012

A customer has a TYPO3 site with >11.000 undeleted pages. Tendency:
growing. In general its a good solution for him and he's happy.

I AM NOT happy because TYPO3 runs out of memory (> 128 MB) whenever
frontend rendering tries to determine which pages belong to a subtree:

   $csvstr = $this->pi_getPidList(...);

In an extension I wrote myself for this site I'm using a workaround:
fetch 'uid' and 'pid' only of all undeleted pages, do some filtering,
build a dictionary in memory so that all 'uid' have an array() with
the 'uid's of their children as value. Working with this array works
and fits into memory.

OTH this can't be the solution. Now I would like to deploy
'vge_tagcloud' but can't: out of memory!

Q: What advice can you give? How to traverse big page trees
effectively?

Q: Are there any solutions around that for instance /hook/ into TYPO3
and optimise tree operation?

Thanks!

Martin

--