[TYPO3-dev] Database compare and database modification inconsistencies

Adrien Crivelli adrien.crivelli at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 10:59:57 CET 2012

Hi,

I must confess I am one of those guy who don't see the point in DBAL.
However I try hard to follow the guidelines set by TYPO3 team.

Yet, I believe the example I wrote has nothing to do with DBAL. I don't
think any DBMS would let you create a field with a given structure but not
let another field to be modified to that very same structure. But I may be
mistaken... and if you could tell me which DBMS (and why) has such
limitations, that would definitely close the discussion.

I may have spoken a bit loudly when I said "SQL should be applied as it was
written" but I think the current mechanism is (slightly) broken and should
be fixed. Either using (slightly) less SQL rewriting, or by letting the
developer knows that the SQL he wrote is somewhat incompatible with TYPO3.

Adrien