[TYPO3-dev] [rfc] Support for ImageMagick PHP module ?

Michael Stucki michael.stucki at typo3.org
Wed Feb 1 13:33:21 CET 2012

Hi Sebastian,

> To my understanding Typo3 uses ImageMagick by execution of new processes
> because some hosters do not have the imagick PGP Module installed.
> However, with my current favorite hoster the opposite is true: the
> imagick modules is present but execution of processes is not granted to
> PHP.  I had a brief look at the code of Type3 4.6.6 and did not find any
> support for the PHP imagick module as an alternative.
>
> I am wondering: If I started working on a patch to support both
> ImageMagick as process invocations as well as PHP module would there be
> a chance to get that included in later Typo3 releases?  Also, do you
> know of any issues that could make this impossible to implement?  Has
> this been decided against before?  If so, what where the reasons?

I think nobody will object to this, the reason why it's not there is
simply that nobody needed it (and I expect it to be less powerful than
using the stock binary).

So go ahead if you think it's worth it, but I honestly recommend you to
consider changing the hoster instead (because you will not only miss
ImageMagick but also unzip, pdftotext, etc.)

- michael

--
Use a newsreader! Check out