[TYPO3-dev] local git mirror og TYPO3 core & submodules

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Mon Aug 6 14:48:37 CEST 2012

Lieuwe Hummel schrieb am 01.08.2012 14:29:

> In the past months we've migrated our projects from SVN to Git as the
> SCM tool. In this process, I encountered that cloning the typo3 core
> takes a while. For this, I had the idea to have a local mirror for
> internal usage. Advantages/goals to achieve:
>  - Somewhat faster cloning
>  - Lower load on the git.typo3.org server
>  - increased security due to more restrictive firewalls
>
> I managed to setup a local mirror for the TYPO3 core, which we can
> clone. The issue I am encountering is this: the submodules in the core
> are still pointing to git.typo3.org, thus the advantage of this setup is
> marginal while adding more maintenance.
>
> Is there a solution to have the submodules mirrored as well? Or is there
> a workaround or best practice for this? Or should we just ignore the
> case and keep cloning from git.typo3.org?
>
> (NB: not sure where to post this.... Hope this list fits)

I don't know the perfect fit answer, but as far as I know there is no
way to do this without hacks. The URLs of the submodules are part of the
repository itself (file .gitmodules, which is versioned just like every
other stuff).

If you want to manipulate this file, you could try to branch the TYPO3
branches on your repository, adapt the URLs manually (or by script) and
then continue working on this branch. And then merge changes to the
original branch from time to time and hope you don't get conflicts in
the .submodules file (which you will as soon as new submodules get added).

This is just the theory. Maybe it don't even work so well.  :)

Cheers,
Ernesto