[TYPO3-dev] GIT rebase question with submodules

Stefan Geith typo3dev2010.nospam1 at geithware.de
Fri Sep 16 09:07:36 CEST 2011

Hi GITies ;)

I have two questions about best practice with GIT.

Situation:
I have a multi-branch setup (symlinked; Debian Linux server).
I have checked out TYPO3_4-5
I have created a branch of TYPO3_4-5 (named TYPO3_4-5-sg) and added some
patches that I need for my customers.

To get the latest changes, I regularly do a rebase:
  # cd typo3_src-4.5
  # git pull && git submodule update
  # cd ../typo3_src-4.5.sg
  # git rebase TYPO3_4-5

Besides some conflicts with my personal changes, I always have problems
with the submodules.

Question *1* :
What is the best way to do a rebase _with_ resetting all changes in all
submodules ?

Last time I did
  # git reset typo3/sysext/dbal typo3/sysext/extbase ...
  # git add typo3/sysext/dbal typo3/sysext/extbase ...
  # git rebase --continue

Is there a better way ?
Maybe something like "git submoulde reset" ?
Or maybe do the reset of submodules before "git rebase TYPO3_4-5" ?

Question *2* :
What is the best way to do a rebase _preserving_ all my changes in
submodules ?
Is there something like "git submodule rebase" ?

Any help appreciated !
Maybe someone already created shell-scripts ?

Regards,
   Stefan