[TYPO3-dev] FluidPage Extension

Zachary Davis zach at castironcoding.com
Fri Oct 21 01:28:26 CEST 2011

For one, it ties the backend layout to the template that's rendered on
the frontend. Without an extension, there's not a good way (that I know
of) to figure out what template to use on a page, since you need to walk
up the rootline and determine if the template is inherited from a parent
page or from the current page.

I suppose you could use a fluidtemplate object, although I prefer not to
have to setup that object for every template choice. This way, there are
some conventions around how variables are assigned to the template,
which speeds up our process a bit (eg, the page is accessible as {page}
within the view, the ID of the backend layout is assigned, etc.

All that said, it's TYPO3 so of course there are many (probably too
many) ways to do the same thing ;)

Zach