[TYPO3-dev] Troubles with submodules in Git

Philipp Gampe typo3.lists at philippgampe.info
Thu Oct 6 20:37:46 CEST 2011

Jigal van Hemert wrote:

>> It would be realistic to fetch all pending reviews, rebase and then
>> resubmit them by some script magic whenever an existant path is turned
>> into a submodule (IMO only this edge case leads to troubles).
>
> Sounds good. Now we only have to find the magician to create this spell
> ;-) Any git wizards or witches who volunteer for this?

Well, git-review does already half of the job ... you would need to extend
it with a method which first creates a branch based on the last commit
before the submodule was introduced.
Then check if the patch applies clean. Reset and update branch to include
the submodule change.
Now try to apply the patch again and fix the submodule path (the commands
are always the same).
Push fixed change.

Does not sound that hard. Maybe 15 minutest real work, with proper testing
something like 2 hours.

If you implement automatically getting all issues from gerrit, this is
possible too and would properly need another hour (including testing).

Best regards
--
Philipp Gampe