[TYPO3-dev] XLIFF files and backwards-compatibility?

Xavier Perseguers xavier at typo3.org
Sun Nov 27 10:13:34 CET 2011

Hi Francois,

> If I create a new extension and use the XLIFF format for the localized
> string files will that extension be compatible with older versions of
> TYPO3? If yes, which (4.5 or lower)?

4.6 and above but if you use extension 'xliff' available in TER, you
have an automatic fall back for 4.4 and 4.5.

> Furthermore when I make reference to a localized string should I write:
>
> LLL:EXT:foo/locallang.xml:bar
>
> or
>
> LLL:EXT:foo/locallang.xlf:bar
>
> or are both possible? If yes, does any of the above possibilities affect
> backwards-compatibility?

The file extension is stripped actually, and we look for file using the
order of check you choose/leave as default (xlf, then xml, ...)

HTH

--
Xavier Perseguers
Release Manager TYPO3 4.6