[TYPO3-dev] External links will not open with target

Francois Bertrand expatdiver at gmail.com
Fri Nov 25 08:09:58 CET 2011

I have set in the root template, the setting for 'target for external
links' at: _blank. I tried 800X600 as well.

The problem is that when I try the links, it does not open a new
window or new tab but loads the page in the same tab.

I tried setting the target for each link manually, go the each
settings and edit the behaviour to 800X600, and then it works on
Chrome and Opera but NOT on IE9 and older versions.
In IE the links are not recognized as an external URL so I get an
error message saying "page not found" as it is simply reading it as an
internal link.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Francois