[TYPO3-dev] The extbase dilemma

Mathias Schreiber [wmdb] mathias.schreiber at wmdb.de
Wed May 18 15:00:55 CEST 2011

Am 18.05.11 14:19, schrieb Felix Oertel:
> I just deleted a random number of your words. Is this how you want to
> comunicate?

Well, that's I'm used to here once it comes to performance and
scalability, so yes :)

But seriously, I think it is not really nice to on the one hand sell
extbase (stable) as the only way to go if you want to be future-save and
on the other hand tell those people who run into obvious problems that
can be explained with 3rd grade math that it is "their fault".

What kind of behavior is that?

Something I see VERY often is testing with (sorry...german) pille-palle
data and NOT profiling what is being done.

I also think an at least basic understanding of RAM usage, scalability
and overall performance should be a key-skill of anyone contributing.

Yes, extbase performed well on the supplied blog example.
No, it did not when creating 300 blogs with 500 entries each and 10
comments per entry (actually it ate all the RAM and then froze)

For me it's hard to believe that this size is "too big" to be a scenario
outside of a developers state of mind.
Or is it?

I have no idea how huge your average project is, but if anyone needs
sample data, just give rupi or me a call (still got a 8GB indexed_search
install here, anyone wanna speed that up?)

I mean... I'm cool with a statement like "extbase is nice, it will speed
up your development a lot, but please be careful when using it in
scenarios A, B or C".
Nothing wrong with it, is it?

--
Ernesto, Nov. 9th 2010:
"In the graphics generation routines of TYPO3 *anything* could cause a