[TYPO3-dev] The extbase dilemma

Dmitry Dulepov dmitry.dulepov at gmail.com
Wed May 18 14:44:06 CEST 2011

Hi!

Sebastian Kurfürst wrote:
> You're right; and that's the same for TYPO3 v4 -- no use of transactions
> there as well (correct me if I'm wrong); so while I agree that
> transactions would be nice, we have lived in TYPO3 v4 for ages without them.

These two approaches cannot be easily compared. With pure v4 you can start
transaction on your own because you control database queries: you know
where you do inserts, updates and deletes. With Extbase you don't known
that. Even more: you shouldn't use direct database access. So it is not the
same.

> For me, the most prominent purpose of Extbase is to let people learn
> Domain-Driven Design and the associated FLOW3 paradigms in a known
> environment, and to gain real-world experiences with these techniques.

It seems that this is the problem: people do not use Extbase for the
intended purpose (to learn DDD). They use Extbase to create extensions. The
purpose does not match the use. Sounds humorous but that's what we have.

--
Dmitry "itoldyou" Dulepov
TYPO3 core&security team member
E-mail: dmitry.dulepov at typo3.org