[TYPO3-dev] RFC: CGL change regarding return statements

Oliver Klee typo3-german-01 at oliverklee.de
Fri Mar 11 15:25:58 CET 2011

Hi,

Am 11.03.2011 13:02, schrieb Andreas Wolf:
> I didn't read the guard clause thingy in the CGL. If we now conclude
> that it is included there, I'm fine with that. It should just be added
> to the official docs.

AFAICT, at least the term "guard clause" is not mentioned in the current
CGL.

> I would propose to take Oli's explanation with an example to the CGL
> doc. Maybe we can also add some background information. I would
> volunteer to write that part and submit it to the Doc team.

Great!

Here's a made-up example:

/**
 * Finds all Dorcles that match the given UIDs.
 *
 * @param string $uidList
 *        comma-separated list of UIDs, may be empty
 *
 * @return array<Dorcles>
 *         all Dorcles with the given UIDs, will be empty if no
 *         models with the given UIDs exist or if $uidList is empty
 */
public function findByUidList($uidList) {
  if (!$this->isCommaSeparatedUidList($uidList)) {
    throw new InvalidArgumentException('$uidList must be a
comma-separated list of UIDs, but actually is "' . $uidList . '"',
1299853352);
  }
  if ($uidList === '') {
    return array();
  }

  // here a few lines of code that retrieve the corresponding objects

  return $dorcles;
}

Oli
--
Certified TYPO3 Integrator | TYPO3 Security Team Member